Life's a roller coaster and I'm not strapped in.....

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Drink, drank, drunk....

This late night of bloggin' finds me in a very sour mood and I have as of yet to quit shaking from being so pissed off. Gotta love going to bed in that condition.

So, tonight, we celebrated Melissa's bday. We started out having a nice night....added a little sophistication with some wine and cheese, made a nice dinner, and enjoyed each other's companionship until we got ready to go out. We then hit up the Winery which is one of the most pretentious places downtown. While having to be 21 to get in, I still didn't feel like I was old enough to be there, but we still had a good time which was accompanied by a couple of glasses of sangria. At this point, we had left the guys (and Nicki) playing shuffleboard at Boar's Head, and, thinking we were going to go to the strip club (which was not my idea, nor one that I favored being that I had class the next day and was extremely exhausted), we decided to go back and get the guys. After a huge debate, we voted against it and let Melissa decide our next destination in which she opted to chill out at Molly O'Shea's. We stayed there for a good while and had a good time, but I had decided that I didn't feel like drinking anymore. GASP! Apparently, this is extremely shocking news. A couple of the guys offered to buy me beers but I turned them down. One of them told me that I had to drink because I was his drinking partner, and when I asked him why I was his drinking partner, he said "well, you're always crazy drunk most the time." Wow......thanks for making me your partner, Dan. We should really hang out more often since the couple of times I ever do see you, drinking is involved thus making you think I stay intoxicated. I didn't realize how infathomable it was to see me without beer in my hand. At least three people commented on it last night. The kicker came at the end of the night when my wonderful, opinionated roommate told me that I needed to quit being mad because I wasn't drunk and have a good time. Who says shit like that? Ok, I woke up relatively early today, went to work, and ran 4 miles before we sat down for dinner. That along with 2 glasses of wine had made me TIRED. Therefore, I was in a very chill mood and didn't feel like dancing or being crazy. Nothing wrong with being mellow, right? But because I couldn't muster up enough energy to get crazy, it was automatically assumed that it was because I was sober, and that must mean that I'm on the brink of becoming a raging alcoholic who claims that I need to have alcohol to accompany a good time or when I'm stressed out. Thanks Dr. Emily.....that's just what I need is you telling me that I have a drinking problem. Note: this criticism comes from the person that caused me to miss the fucking Tennessee/GA game last year because she drank too much and won an ambulance ride to the hospital after an intense throw-up session inside Sanford Stadium. Really nice sweetheart. Thanks for being such a good friend...............

So, apparently, what it boils down to is that I have a reputation of being a wild child. I am, however, well aware of this. When asked to describe me, most people would probably include their rendition of some sort of drunk story in which they've either been part of or witnessed.....my reputation definitely preceeds me. In my defense, however, while I definitely have plenty of crazy nights on record, those nights are few and far between. Last week, I went out 4 nights in a row only because I had time and because I had friends in town, but even still, two of those nights I refrained from drinking even a sip of alcohol. During the school year, I only drink on weekends if at all. I've spent many Saturday nights at home just bullshitting because I don't NEED to drink! It's just a fun thing to do! Yes, sometimes I need to unwind and things get a little ridiculous, but how does this make me different from any other college student? I haven't been dubbed a regular at any local bar as of yet, and drinking more than one night in a row is a feat I haven't accomplished since the craziness of freshman year. But hey, if someone thinks I need AA, then bring it on. I just hope that they have room for AT LEAST 20,000 other UGA students because chances are, their drinking habits are equivalent, if not worse, than my own. So fuck you....

Here's a typical scenario of what happens when me and alcohol get together: first of all, my volume level increases directly proportionally to the level of alcohol consumption. I'm a loud person to begin with, and on top of that, I'm deaf as hell, so please excuse me for being boisterous, but there's probably a fat chance that I'm going to be capable of using anything close to an "inside" voice. Furthermore, as my inhibitions go down, the random things I say usually become more and more outlandish, and I tend to say things I shouldn't or talk to/text message people that I really just don't need to communicate with (specifically prospects or ex's), but most people find it entertaining and if you don't, then chances are that you're that guy that never called me back so I guess it doesn't matter anyway. The first time I ever threw up from drinking too much was on my 21st birthday, and aside from two or three other times, I've never needed anyone to take care of me, and I assure you that I find those times very embarrassing and I can't express how sorry I am for putting people in the position where they had to babysit me, but I am very grateful that I have great friends who have been there for me when I needed it. We all pay for drinking too much the next day, so I've been punished for the times that it got out of hand, believe me. They say drink responsibly for a reason, and that's because you're supposed to be responsible for yourself, and for the number of times that I've gotten crazy, I think I've done pretty good. So tell me again, what's so wrong with having a good time when you drink? I don't think there's anything wrong with getting drunk and living it up. After all, this is college and I'm still young and spry....when else am I going to be able to do this? If this makes me irresponsible, so be it. That's your opinion, and lucky for me, I'm not asking for it (so please, don't give it to me). Even while drunk, I've made good decisions and have never, ever gotten myself in a situation that I regret (this includes random hook-ups....I don't believe in them and therefore will never be involved in one....yeah, I'm a loser like that, sorry.) I just don't understand why having a good time constitutes alcoholism or why I've been tagged with the stigma of being a wild child. If this is truly the way that people think of me, then I don't need that reputation. Sign me up to be the DD, not the next member of AA. I don't need alcohol and refuse to let people think that I do. That isn't who I am, but it really sucks that a person I thought knew me for who I was had to throw that shit in my face while we were in the middle of the bar (isn't that ironic?) Seems like if she really thought something wasn't right that she would have had the gall to sit me down and have a serious chat about what was up. Instead, it's being used against me in the middle of Classic City, and that hurts worse than she'll ever know. Guess I know who my true friends really are, huh? This really sucks.......but again, there's nothing I can do. Oh well....

So yeah, gotta love drama. At least the adrenaline from getting pissed off gave me the energy to write so that I can entertain those of you who find reading my blog interesting. By the way, thanks for the comments you guys. Keep 'em coming!

It's been a long night.......I'm going to bed......sweet dreams guys........

"These days are crazy, but they make me shine..." --Oasis

1 Comments:

  • At 11:08 AM , Blogger Staisha said...

    Hey girl! I miss you soooo much!! And as far as your blog goes, I say don't give a shit about what other people think. You are in college, like to have fun, and are, by no means, an alcoholic or becoming one...that being said, I think that it's awesome that you don't have to compromise being gregarious because of school...you balance both really well. Maybe others are jealous because they can't balance fun with school like you can. That, in my book, is just you being intellegent...not a drunk. I never thought of you as a wild child or as an obnoxious drunk...but a great companion who I've shared a lot of great memories with (drinking involved or not). Don't let other's comments affect your desire to enjoy life. Look within yourself...there's where you'll find your truth.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home