Life's a roller coaster and I'm not strapped in.....

Saturday, May 21, 2005

This ones for the girls.....

Title: "He's Just Not That Into You"
Authors: Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo

The aforementioned can be purchased in any local bookstore, Target, or Wal*Mart. Girls, get it now! I don't care if you're single, taken, engaged, married, black, white, or purple, every girl needs to read every word offered in this book. Why? Because it is an ingenius way to remember that 1) we need not be stupid when it comes to dealing with the evilness of the male genitalia, and 2) we deserve the absolute best. Period.

Reading this book changed my perspective on a lot of things, but upon being able to apply what I've learned, I realized how stupid we girls are when we waste precious time dwelling over the pretentious likings of guys that we really don't belong with. Think about it.....we date tons of guys, and ideally, all but one of them "just aren't that into us." Simple concept right? Not so much. Love is blind, and our estrogen mixes in a fleet of emotions that causes us to lose every other sense necessary to maintain our sanity when it comes to relationships. This, my friends, is what causes girls to go psycho, thus explaining why every girl needs to be able to identify what they want and let go of the guys that aren't up to par in order to keep a judicious train of thought about where our love lives are headed. That means no more making excuses, no more making sacrifices, no more conforming our standards, and no more lowering the bar. We have to be strong, and if we can't muster up enough strength to be able to walk away from these extraneous situations that only serve to deplete our self esteem, then we must educate ourselves to identify our emotional weaknesses that keep us from remembering how deserving we are of the ideal love that we all hope to find. After all, each and every one of us is worth it. Period.

How blinded are we by love? Let's open our book to the table contents and check out the chapter titles. He's just not that into you if:
1) he's not asking you out
2) he's not calling you
3) he's not dating you
4) he's not having sex with you
5) he's having sex with someone else
6) he's only wants to see you when he's drunk
7) he's not wanting to get married
8) he's breaking up with
9) he's disappeared on you
10) he's married
11) he's a selfish jerk, a bully, or a really big freak (this is the catchall category, haha)

Pretty damn obvious dontcha think? Yeah, who would waste their time reading a book that friggin' conspicuous? Oh yeah, that's right...you should because you're the same idiot that I am. Trust me. It's actually a fun game....let's use as an example my most recent failure of a relationship. If you aren't aware of the history, please reference my entire blog because I have blabbed about him at least once in every entry. Yeah I was definitely blinded by this one. Let's see, we talked on average about once per week, he took me out, yes, but we went weeks without seeing each other, when we did hang out, drinking was almost always involved, he tried calling things off, he disappeared, and he was ultimately a selfish jerk who really didn't care that much about me. I think that covers like half the book, and I still stayed with him until he finally walked away. Shouldn't that have been my call? When I initially read this book, Brian was in an iffy spot with me anyway, yet I still managed to justify his presence in my life as a prospect. I mean, what book can describe the complexity of a guy to a tee? Yeah, there's always an exception to the rule, but there should never be an exception to my rule. In retrospect, I probably would have done anything for that kid, but what the hell for? Yeah he was fun, but there are a million guys out there. Never settle, right? Easier said than done, but that doesn't change the fact that it has to be done. You just have to do it. Period.

These revelations were very, very hard to comeby, and I was neither strong or wise enough to do this on my own. But I have great people in my life who think very highly of me, thus encouraging me to do the same. Why does love make us feel like we are incompetent? I don't know, but its detrimental effects should be taken with a grain of salt. No matter what, we always deserve more. I just wish I wasn't so stubborn because I should have realized all this before, but sometimes, you gotta have someone show you everything you're missing out on. We all can't be so lucky, but we should never dismiss the notion that we are, in fact, capable of making the right decisions that will ultimately supplement our happiness. That's why everybody should read this book. It's the crutch we need to make prudent decisions, the tourniquet we need for our wounded hearts, and it's a fundamental resource that can serve to restore our self-efficacy so that we can give ourselves the absolute best.


Alright, well, I'm pretty damn exhausted and I think I'm out of creative juices, so I'm going to quit preaching. Just remember that each and everyone of you is special. Period.

Sweet dreams......

"Wait for the boy who pursues you, the one who will make an ordinary moment seem magical, the kind of boy who brings out the best in you and makes you want to be a better person. Wait for the boy who will be your best friend, the person who will drop everything to be with you at any time of the day no matter what the circumstances. Wait for the boy who makes you smile like no other, and when he smiles you know he needs you. Wait for the boy who wants to show you off to the world when you are in sweats and have no makeup on. Most of all, wait for the boy who will put you at the center of his universe, because obviously, he'd be at the center of yours.."

p.s. Special thanks to my roommate, Nicki D., who invited me to read this book as a way to make me realize what exactly I was missing. The outsiders perspective is always the most valuable. Thanks Nic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home