Life's a roller coaster and I'm not strapped in.....

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

So this is the real world...

First of all, I wanna apologize to every person that I cried all over on Friday night (and for dropping my drink and splattering everyone!) I was a bit of a basketcase, but what can I say? Leaving Athens sucked! But, Augusta has been alright so far and I'm adjusting well. Kit warned me to not think too much about this transition, but what he doesn't know is that I've always done really well with change. Do I like it? Absolutely not. But I have a resiliency about me that makes it easy for me to get through the transitions that life brings, so I'm really ok! I just miss everyone.....

The AUG (as I've affectionately named it) is definitely different than Athens. Four years ago when I left Perry for Athens, I thought I was going out into the real world. Yeah right! Athens was a great first place to move away from home to. Everything in the city caters to college kids, and you can't beat downtown Athens! There's constant entertainment, and you're constantly surrounded by kids your own age, thus making it very easy to meet people. Within the first week, I'd already developed a mini-network of friends to go to the dining hall with, hang out with, and to turn to with questions. I've currently been in the AUG for 4 days and I have yet to meet anyone in my complex that's my age. There were kids running around the pool when I got here, and there's a playground right next to the tennis courts. I'm used to spring breakin' it by the pool at River Club, and I'm definitely not used to hear children squeal with glee outside my apartment window. Yes, Johnny, I think I'm in the real world now...

Needless to say, I'm anxious to go to orientation and meet some people in my class and hopefully make some friends quick. I am very thankful for Paige and Jonathan who have warmly taken me in since I've been here. I've realized that I'm pretty lucky to be close with a couple of people in this city; my roommates don't really know anyone at all! Familiar faces are always comforting after a hard day, and relying on JP is going to be awesome. I'm very grateful for them.

So, all in all, I'm doing alright. There's no place like Athens, but luckily for me, it's a mere hour and a half drive, and I know some people who would gladly let me stay on their couch, so it's nice knowing I can always retreat back and remember the good ole days in the ATH. Until then, I'll be chillin in the AUG...

Hope everyone is doing well! Congrats to everyone graduating! I love y'all!

"So when we could stand it no longer, we thought it best to be left...in Athens."
~1 Thessalonians 3:1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home