Life's a roller coaster and I'm not strapped in.....

Thursday, August 25, 2005

I can hear the bells....

.....and it's driving me insane!!!!

What is up with the wedding fever?? With the rate that everyone's been popping questions and getting rings, I feel like my turn is coming up.......yeah right.

This is not to say that I don't rejoice in the happiness that my friends and family members have found in what I hope will be the loves of their lives. My smile is far from plastic, but right now, it's hard to flex my face muscles for any long period of time in order to maintain that smile; it's trying, but because I love my friends and family so much and because I'm honored that they've asked me to take part in the union that they will form with their significant others, I'm gonna do all that I can to dig down deep in my heart and show them the genuine happiness I have for them.

So what's masking me from expressing my true happiness? For starters, it's definitely a jealousy thing. Yep, I'm not scared to admit it. But it's a jealousy dubbed by fear. Who's to say that I'm meant to spend the rest of my life with a husband? Getting married is becoming a primitive rite of passage, and these days, there are plenty of single women that grow old alone. Sometimes I feel like I've reached a level of independence that I may never be able to let go of. It's not what I want, and I know that God will give me the desires of my heart, but God placed those desires there and they work for my best interest. Only He knows what that is, thus placing a haze over the vision I have for the future. All I can do is wait.

Secondly, the whole idea of my Daddy not being there really taints the scene I envision of my wedding day. I won't go into too much detail as I don't want to depress anyone, but until I truly experience the joy that can be given to me by only my future husband (should one exist) to balance out the pain that I will have to experience, my wedding day will be regarded with sadness.

Lastly, seeing people settle down and start their futures produces more envy that is hard to fight through. I graduate in December, and after that I'll still have 3 more grueling years of school where I will be poor, lonely, stressed, and worn out. I am so excited about the future which is why I have chosen a path that I think will be fulfilling. Unfortunately, it's also a path that is little longer, and needless to say, my anxiousness is getting the best of me. I'll get there eventually though.

So, I'm not really going insane, but I feel like all the wedding stuff is definitely a trial God has placed on my lap to strengthen my character, my attitude, and my faith. I'll get through it and just pray that God will bring me the same favor when the time is right should that be His will.

Ok, I'm done getting out those thoughts. Thanks for listening.....

Love you guys!

1 Comments:

  • At 3:52 PM , Blogger CityStreams said...

    First of all, I know it's a cliche but do keep in mind that "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence." You would not believe how stressful it is to be engaged. I didn't have time to eat between school, work and applying to school plus planning a wedding. And as far as I can see all the girls here in life after college seem to be doing just fine and are still meeting guys, etc. You make incredible friends in your classes because they're all going through the same things you are and have the same passions you do.
    Lastly, I can totally see what you mean about how your wedding day will be different without your dad. A few weeks ago I helped a girl with her flowers for her wedding and her mom had passed away when she was a freshman in high school. We made a memory bouquet in honor of her mom and her dad walked it down and placed it next to the unity candles when he went to light one of them. I think somewhere in this space of time between you now and you ready to get married you'll figure out how to include your dad and still have happy tears on that special day. But there's no reason to run down that aisle just yet ~ enjoy being single. It really is a gift! :o)
    Love ya girl ~Cin~

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home