Life's a roller coaster and I'm not strapped in.....

Friday, August 12, 2005

I Heart NY

So, it's been awhile, but most of you know that I've been vacationing in NYC, and yes, it was amazing and I had a fantastic time. Since Kit was kind of enough to teach me how to post pictures on this thing, I'll be sure to share as soon as I get them. Me and the roomies got along well which I thought was pretty amazing since 4 females sharing one bathroom and being in each other's space can quickly turn into a recipe for disaster. We saw some awesome things, ate delicious food, went to a fantastic show, and optimized every minute of our time to get our money's worth out of the trip. We drank cosmos (yes, I drank....I'm sure that will excite some of you haha), almost got killed by numerous taxi drivers, sweated to death underground on the gross subway system, took great pictures, took advantage of the great shopping (ok, we all know that wasn't my favorite part, but it was ok), and I think we walked at least a bazillion miles around the city, but we had a ball. And let's not forgot about the NAKED COWBOY in Times Square. Yes, he totally made my day! :) Pictures are comin'....

So, while in NY, I was really proud of myself for how well I knew my way around the city. Being my fourth trip, I was able to remember where a lot of things were and impressed myself with my navigation skills. It made me realize that if I wanted to, I could probably survive in a big city, and what's more, I enjoy the hustle and bustle of being in a city that never sleeps. It's a place I could make feel like home should my financial status ever come to reflect the cost of living in such an expensive place. I found this realization pretty ironic. I mean, what happened to the little Perry girl with the country accent who loves to fish, hike, boat, camp out under the stars (ok, I don't like camping that much), go to rodeos, drink beer with the good ole boys, sip on sweet tea, and eat ribs until I'm covered head to toe with BBQ sauce? Pretty sure that girl doesn't belong anywhere the city. Of course, this has been the paradox of my life that contributes to a major identity crisis. You tell the good ole boys that you're from L.A. and they automatically stereotype you as the ditzy Cali girl that doesn't know the first thing about how to bait a fishing hook. Then you tell the cab driver in NY to take you to 42nd and 7th with a polite "please" and "thank you," and he laughs at you 1) for failing to hide your southern drawl and 2) for being NICE about it (that's a pretty foreign concept to those people). Then he proceeds to double your cab fare by driving in circles or by taking you to the busiest street in New York because he assumes you wouldn't know the difference. I guess that makes it seem like a lose/lose situation, but I'm choosing to be optimistic by choosing to call myself "well rounded" as I have the ability to fit in both places. Either one can be called home. It definitely puts a question mark on my future as the decision to where I make my future home has many options to debate, but it gives me the ability to be spontaneous and go wherever the wind blows, and I think I like that. :)

So on our last day in NY, I made a purchase that epitomized my identity crisis: a faux Von Dutch trucker hat in camoflage. It's stylish and trendy but it's also rugged and simple....it's the best of both worlds. Such is my life, and I think it's cool that I'm able to appreciate each end of the spectrum.

Ok, well those are my thoughts as of now. I'll have more to vent about later....

until then...

"In Forty-second Street it is a glowing summer afternoon all night: one might almost wear white trousers and a straw hat."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home