Life's a roller coaster and I'm not strapped in.....

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving....

So, I've decided that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday (after my birthday of course, haha!) I don't really know what it is.....maybe it's because Christmas is usually pretty crappy because I hate being away from all of my family, and, let's face it - nobody really reflects on the true meaning of Christmas like they should. As much as I love giving (and recieving) Christmas presents, it seems like that's all it's ever about. I'm sure that other families spend more quality time together than my family, but in my experiences, I've never gotten over the lack of "togetherness" that I think that you should share. But then again, my family is far from normal, so maybe there's hope for the future. We'll see.

So yeah, Thanksgiving it is. I don't know why. I love cooking with my parents even though they think I'm a disaster in the kitchen (which I'm not.....they just like to have things done their way....oh well). My mom and I made pumpkin pie bars which were actually pretty good, and we kind of just hung out the entire day. I did get a little sick which sucked, and I officially used up an entire box of Kleenex and look like Rudolph, but it still didn't damper my day too much. I really missed not having my brother here, and one of these days I'm going to be able to spend this day with the other side of my family, but I thoroughly enjoyed my quaint little Thanksgiving with my parents. Go fig....

So yeah, in the past 6 months, I've really come to realize how precious life really is, thus giving me plenty to be thankful for. Today, as I went throughout the day, I praised God for all of the wonderful people that He's put into my life. I have amazing family members (hey, we put the "fun" in "dysFUNctional" but we love each other and that's all that really matters) and great friends that really complete who I am and share my life with me. That's very important. There's no point in living if you don't have someone to indulge in the glories of life with no matter who it is. For this I am very thankful.

I am also thankful that in spite of the short amount of time that we had together, my Daddy was able to share so much wisdom with me and I think that really shaped who I am. He was an amazing man, and I'm very thankful that God let us have him for a little while before He took him back to be with Him. I'm also very thankful for God's strength and grace throughout the past six months. I've really changed as a person, and I'm glad that I was able to grow into the strong, Christian woman that God intended me to be. I could have very easily victimized myself and caused a lot more hardship for myself, but I'm glad that I didn't do this and I'm thankful for God's direction with every fork in the road I came to face. His guidance has always been and will continue to be such a blessing.

I'm also very thankful that I've grown closer to Dean and Mischa. We didn't talk for a little while there, mostly because we got too caught up in life to make time for each other. Now, I talk to my sister-in-law almost every single day and have found in her a new mentor for the rocky times that God throws our way. I'm also glad that Dean and I have grown closer and I love the role that he has in my life now. He's kind of filled in Dad's shoes, but he's still my brother and it kind of makes him like a really cool parent. I think he would definitely call me out on something if he thought I was making faulty decisions, but he's been pretty supportive of me, and he amuses me. I enjoy keeping up with him and am glad that we've established a tighter bond that I hope will continue to grow.

I could seriously go on forever and ever about everything I've been grateful for this past year. But I just think it's important to reflect on how awesome our lives really are in spite of how stressful and perfunctory they can be. We have plenty of things to be thankful for, and I am truly thankful for each and every one of you. Never forget it....

So, I hope everyone's turkey was delicious. Take care you guys, and remember that I love you! Night......

"I thank my God every time I remember you..." ~Philipians 1:3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home