Life's a roller coaster and I'm not strapped in.....

Monday, October 03, 2005

hmm....interesting...

This is merely a quick update and an apology for all the time that has gone by between blogs. What can I say? Life happens, but I have a spark of inspiration in me, so stay tuned....a good one's coming.

So my trip to Chicago was absolutely awesome! Being up there and being with my family just really made me realize how much I really want to move up there. The future can't get here fast enough, but I will do my best to not short-change the present as there is a lot of things that must happen between now and then to make things possible. I just enjoy the security of knowing what I really want to do in the future and having some sort of plan that I can only hope and pray will come true. But as with all things, I guess we'll see.

So I was talking with my sister, Alishia, this weekend, and she said some things that I thought were pretty interesting. Alishia is an EMT in the city of Lake Charles, LA which some of you might recall was hit pretty bad by Hurricane Rita. She stayed behind to help other medical personnel with whatever needed to be done after the hurricane. She also talked about Hurricane Katrina and how a bunch of the shit that got put out via the media was absolute bullshit. The biggest example which put President Bush in the spotlight to take blame and caused our FEMA director to resign was the issue about how soon help arrived post-Katrina. According to Alishia who I believe has an "in" about getting information said that the American Red Cross was in place ready to aid victims of the hurricane before it even came! Yet, due to the anarchy and the number of idiots that refused to leave, the media portrayed New Orleans as being up Shit Creek without a paddle when really, the help was there. What really happened was that the Governor of Louisiana and the Mayor of New Orleans wouldn't quit arguing long enough to make executive decisions about how to the utilize the help that was already in place and ready to go. Also, after half the New Orleans police officers left, the remainers actually arrested church clergy and volunteers who were collecting food just so that they could take everything for themselves! They also were the main ones shooting at the National Guard when they tried to implement help. Alishia even told a story about one police officer who was offing people just so that they couldn't get the food. What the hell?!?! It really pisses me off because the media made New Orleans look like a fallen damsel in distress when really, they were nothing but a bunch of ignorant people who couldn't be self-sufficient. Notice that you didn't hear anything about Lake Charles post-Rita. That's because the people in the community stepped up and started clearing the debris before official help even came. Of course the media isn't going to sensationalize that because it's not as entertaining. It just sucks that what really happened with Hurricane Katrina was falsly portrayed and it ended up hurting even more people. Lake Charles sustained a lot of damage in Rita....my stepmom lost her sun room, her fence, and there isn't a tree standing in her yard. My grandfather had a tree fall on his house and his pool was damaged. He also said that there wasn't a pine tree left standing in Lake Charles. But you haven't heard stories like that, have you? Hmmm...interesting (that one's for you Dean). I just thought I'd share. Sometimes, it's nice to know what really happened. So there ya have it.

Until next time..........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home