Life's a roller coaster and I'm not strapped in.....

Friday, December 23, 2005

Once upon a December...

For those of you wondering, the NY pictures are coming. Unfortunately, one-hour at Wolf Camera really translates into 3 hours, so I didn't have time to pick up my pics before leaving to come home to Perry, but I'll get them scanned in ASAP!

This month has been pretty eventful to say the least.

Daddy's birthday was December 10th, and it kinda sucked, but I remained fairly composed thanks to the distraction of being invited to attend Kit's company Christmas party and freaking out about what to wear (as much as I play it off, I can be such a girl sometimes). I hope I was a good date cause I had a lot of heavy stuff on my mind that day, but I managed to have a good time and am thankful for Kit's invitation. Then I graduated on December 17th, and Daddy made me a promise that he would be here, and I guess he was watching down on me, but that wasn't what I had in mind at the time the promise was made. I would have never fathomed him not physically being able to live up to his promise, but I graduated college as the girl God meant for me to be, and that's because of Daddy. Everybody has told me throughout the past 6 months that they have been proud of me for how courageous I've been in dealing with this situation. I've been very appreciatiative of everybody's compliments even though I was rather unaware of the display of courage I was presenting to my peers. It wasn't until recently that I realized where all the compliments were coming from. I chose not to dwell on the sorrow of Daddy's absence and decided to stare the grief in the face and fight it until I was ok. As Dean always says, Daddy wanted a party, so we had to give him one. He wouldn't have tolerated us choosing to be sad and not making the necessary steps to overcome the hardships that life threw at us. It was out of due respect that I had to figure out how stand strong in spite of the circumstances, and by doing so, I was able to apply the lessons that I learned from him. That's my way of giving back to him the many things he gave to me, and my efforts have been rewarded. I don't think I'll ever get over it, but I'm ok, and in this situation that's the best that I can be.

Tonight, I made the trek back to Perry to spend Christmas with my family, and I also got to see my baby brother whom I haven't seen since July. Airman Basic Gray is a lot different than the Little Willie we sent to the Air Force 5 months ago. He's probably matured more in the last 5 months than I have in the past 3 and a half years of college. My parents love that of course, and in the midst of their pride for him they seem to have forgotten that I graduated from college last week. I have yet to hear my mom quit gloating about all the great things that William has done. Oh well. I don't take it personally because I've always been the black sheep of the Bycenski-Gray family, and somehow, that makes William's accomplishments more worthy of praise. I, however, know that it's apples and oranges. Oh well. Seeing William was great though. I actually had to stare at him for like 10 minutes because seeing him in uniform made it seem like I was meeting someone new for the first time. I am really proud of him, and I love that he's going to be around next week. We're going to have a blast, and I'm going to get to know the person that William has grown into. That should be pretty interesting...

Speaking of getting to know people.....I've really gotten to know someone special over the past month. For whatever reason, he's been the only thing that's really made sense lately, something I find kind of ironic since he lives 5 hours away. I'm insane, huh? He used to go to UGA and it's really crazy that we never really met and hung out before now because we share a lot of mutual friends, we both love hanging out at Boar's Head, and we even had all of our classes at Ramsey. But of course, that's just my luck, right? At any rate, he seems like a really fun kid and I think I need someone that can be just as goofy as me. He also has a way of challenging me to see other perspectives which is a good balance for me. The Gray noggin is pretty thick and not many people can get through our stubborness. He's been playing Devil's advocate a lot but he does it in a way that simply suggests there might be other answers without bluntly telling me that I'm wrong. I'm not very receptive to people questioning my omniscience (I don't think any Gray is, haha) which is why I find it interesting that he has a way of getting through to me effectively. But who knows? My track record says it won't work out, but I really think it's gonna be different this time. I guess we'll see.......

So yeah, it's been an interesting month, and we haven't even made it through Christmas yet! I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas! I love you all....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home