Life's a roller coaster and I'm not strapped in.....

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Indifference to the Media

Now here's something I can talk passionately about...my indifference for the media.

Now, I say indifference instead of hatred for one reason: the opposite of love is not hate because if I hated the media, then it's still an emotion that insinuates that I care when, really, I don't. Let me explain...

There are two things in my life that I really care about right now: politics and Georgia football. Forgive me for being so simple, but the rest of it is really all junk. That's not to say I don't indulge in trashy celebrity magazines every now and then, but we're all entitled to our guilty pleasures, right? In the grand scheme of things, Brangelina having their 8,000th child or Lindsey Lohan being gay or straight has no effect on how I tick like the other two topics.

Now, it's true that politics are of particular interest to me given that it's an election year, but as a future healthcare provider, I've come to realize that it's important for me to be an active lobbyist in advocating for and against certain legislature that will help enhance my profession as a physical therapist. As McCain said it, there's no reason that a bureaucrat should stand between you and your doctor. The idea of socialized medicine will so greatly effect the career I have yet to begin that I have to be passionate about ensuring that Obama and his ignorant values and ideas don't make it to the White House. Plus, there are his diplomatic skills, his overtaxed plans, and just general B.S. that make my stomach churn anytime I hear his voice. Needless to say, following this election race has been of particular interest to me.

Georgia football should be a known topic of interest for me if you know me at all, and my interest has been amplified by the hype that this season has brought. I love Georgia Football with my soul and there is a place in my heart right next to Jesus, my family/friends, and Enon, for my beloved Dawgs. It's true that I've been heartbroken and let down before and I'm well aware that there is a possibility that I'll be let down by the time we've maneuvered through our tough schedule, but there is just something about a cold beer, a crisp breath of the Athens, GA fall air, and the view of Sanford Stadium on a Saturday afternoon that rejuvenates me and gives me goosebumps. My parents and family members think it's an annoying obsession which is fine because I wouldn't expect them to understand. But Dawg fans understand, and I know I have 92,000 friends that share this moment of glory with me 7 Saturdays a year during football season.

Ok, now that I've explained what makes me tick, I will now explain my indifference to the media. Media outlets, no matter how ethical they try to be in attempting unbiased reporting are always going to lean to one side or the other. Now, I like to think of myself as being a well-educated individual with strong values and beliefs, but I think that even I have fallen victim of the media from time to time. The thing is, there are too many people in our country who rely on the media to help them make decisions due to an inability to think independently. I believe the great line in the Casting Crown's song is "stop asking Oprah what to do" which is such a true sentiment because too many people look to the dang TV to figure out how to solve their problems and go through their daily lives. Is this the sad existence that so many of us have come to?? To this, I say turn off the TV, shut down the computer, and plug your iPod in when you're driving down the road because there is really no reason for us to be turning to any media outlet to help shape our thoughts and ideals. I think it's absolutely ludicrous to do so, and until we start thinking for ourselves, we're never going to make it in this unforgiving world.

I no longer turn my TV to News channels because I know that John McCain and Sarah Palin's values reflect my own, and there's no reason that I should be angered by listening to one more Obama speech seeing that I will be unmoved by any word that comes out of his mouth. I'm almost amused at how intensely the media and liberal pieces of crap loathe Sarah Palin seeing that they seem to forget that she is running for VICE president and is NOT Obama's primary opponent. I personally think that the intensity behind the hatred comes from the denial in that they are angry that McCain so cleverly chose her when Obama's running mate is nothing but a creepy, old, damn Yankee who is hardly worth showing off. Unfortunately, there are many people who are still on the fence about who they are going to vote for come November 4th, and these biased opinions, which seem to be moreso in Obama's favor, will really impact all the ignorant people in America who can't think for themselves. If you need help making a decision, do research!!! Don't watch CNN or Fox News to help you figure if you're gonna go red vs. blue! It sickens me to the nth degree which is why I've resorted to reading for pleasure every night versus turning on the old tube.

And as for ESPN, well, it could disintegrate into nothingness and I would not have a care in the world. It's true that to gain the ratings, they have to discuss topics that will draw more fans, and those teams that draw the most fans are the ones with National Championship rings and Heisman Trophies. I get that. However, it's an understatement to say that there is a Bulldog Nation that is very pissed off at ESPN these days, but why bother wasting negative energy on one more biased media outlet?? I have the Bulldogs tattooed on my heart, and ESPN will never be able to sway me otherwise. Sure, their love for certain teams and lack thereof significantly sways voters who, again, can't think for themselves, but I say to hell with them all...let's shut up and play ball! Let's face it...it's THEIR broken system, so if we win week in and week out and they want to continue to drop us down in the polls, then so be it. Come December, when we're 13-0 and not playing in the title game, they'll hate us even more for further proving that the BCS = B.S. because we've already proven that we're not Hawaii and deserve so much more. We proved that last year! All I can do is cheer my Dawgs to victory and hope that we earn some love somewhere along the way, and if we don't, then the only time I'll be tuning into ESPN is when the game is being televised or when I want to know how far down the Gaytor Lovers and USC Fanatics have dropped us down in the polls.

Call me closed minded, call me a hypocrit, I really don't care. All I can do is be happy, and unfortunately, most media outlets do the opposite. To hell with them all. I can simply hope for a McCain/Palin victory in November along with a continued undefeated Georgia Bulldog Football team come December with an SEC Championship ring. It's all gonna work itself out!

Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home